This past weekend the last two of the original garden beds were replaced. After over twelve years, all of the garden now consists of six garden beds that ‘hopefully’ won’t need to be patched up and repaired each spring.
The replacement followed the same script as in the spring. I started off by digging out the dirt from around the inside of the beds and piling it into the adjacent beds. With the soil removed, I could start pulling out all of the old side boards.
West garden bed with the soil removed around the original bed and one of the sides removed.
Warning! Garden bed lost containment!
Some of the old bed parts. They held up quite well for being next to soil and out in the weather for so many years.
The two new beds waiting for to be moved to their new forever home.
I am very thankful for my neighbors generosity in lending me his spud bar for use removing all the old posts. Some were so rotten they practically fell out. Others were still very well stuck in the ground.
Second bed missing its walls.
There are some small gaps between the boards and around the bottom. I used some landscape fabric to line the insides of the new beds to help keep the soil inside.
Final two new beds all ready to grow vegetables next year and hopefully for many years to come.